... my other garden ;)

About Me

My photo
I'm not a graceful person. I'm not a Sunday morning or a Friday sunset. I am a Tuesday 2AM, I am gunshots muffled by a few city blocks, I am a broken window during February. My bones crack on a nightly basis. I fall from elegance with a dull thud, and I apologize for my awkward sadness. I sometimes believe that I don't belong around people, that I belong to all the leap days that didn't happen. The way light and darkness mix under my skin has become a storm. You don't see the lightning, but you hear the echoes.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Thank God It's (Good) Friday, coffee anyone?






When things in your life seem , almost too much to handle,
When 24 Hours in a day is not enough,
Remember the mayonnaise jar and 2 cups of coffee.



A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with diamonds.

He then asked the students, if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the diamonds.

He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar.
Of course, the sand filled up everything else.
He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous 'yes.'

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively
filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

'Now,' said the professor, as the laughter subsided, I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life...

The diamonds are the important things - family, children, health, Friends, and Favorite passions.
Things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, Your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, house, and car.

The sand is everything else --The small stuff.

If you put the sand into the jar first,' He continued, there is no room for the pebbles or the diamonds.
The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff,
You will never have room for the things that are important to you.

So...

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.
Play With your children.
Take time to get medical checkups.
Take your partner out to dinner.

There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal.

Take care of the diamonds first ---The things that really matter.
Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented.

The professor smiled.
I'm glad you asked'.

It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem,
there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend.


***

The Diamonds In My Life ...

my lovely daughter Sophie for the day to day inspiration

her father for helping me put our daughter through

my family for being my last few aces ... and to whom I owe that gray matter between my ears, and that big big heart beneath my sternum :)

all my friends from childhood and adult years for splashing all the colors in my life

God ... no matter how unconventional our relationship is ... He carries me throughout my voyage

my journal, my poetry, my books, and all the beautiful things that surround me
for the really very personal joy they give me

memories of Mama, my grandparents, an 'ol lover and friends who went ahead for simply completing my life

... and Me, Me, Me... for all the things I love and hate about myself ... I am a unique creation of God. This is the only me. There was no Irma before me. And never will be another one after me.


The Significant Pebbles ...

my job and a few investments ... for keeping me and Sophie, and making me a little capable help to family and friends who need me from time to time

my lovely house ... of course the roof above our heads ... and being my own little canvas for all the beautiful things I own that are signature Irma, like tat little couch, the scented candles, fairies and all the little people, tat antique sungkaan and big framed mirror, all those chimes, Mom's framed cross stitch works, mah blingblingz, all the lovely stuff i got from Papemel, my pillows, all my wine glasses from Dennis and Wenggay, my odd and colorful plates, a set of pink cutlery, my growing titles of my favorite films and books, my airconditioned room :), my ol' desktop and broadband, my ITouch and wide genre of playlist, my first digital camera in violet, my Tinkerbell watch, my bags and wedges, Mr. Snowman, Mr. Charlie Brown, my purple shower and my rubber duckies, Sophie's photo albums and her baby books where I kept her baby hair from her first hair cut, all her milk teeth, her handprints, her first set of toothbrush and tongue cleaner, her toys, her own library (even when she's not really fond of reading arrggghhh), her Precious Moments bible in lilac, Mama's stuff neatly tucked ...

my househelp :) ... for looking after Sophie when am not around, cooking for us, and providing always an extra hand.

... and the Sand ... come to think of it ... my life's been so full and uniquely wonderful, I don't even remember them ... I jusz walk on 'em. And there my footprints so lovely as He carries me in His arms ... as the tide sweeps them away for a new set of imprints as I make them now.

The sand on our feet how easily they can be wiped away. No sweat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive