... my other garden ;)

About Me

My photo
I'm not a graceful person. I'm not a Sunday morning or a Friday sunset. I am a Tuesday 2AM, I am gunshots muffled by a few city blocks, I am a broken window during February. My bones crack on a nightly basis. I fall from elegance with a dull thud, and I apologize for my awkward sadness. I sometimes believe that I don't belong around people, that I belong to all the leap days that didn't happen. The way light and darkness mix under my skin has become a storm. You don't see the lightning, but you hear the echoes.

Sunday, August 7, 2016

The Good Man and the Lady

The Lady in the Van: And Other StoriesThe Lady in the Van: And Other Stories by Alan Bennett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

 I guess, no matter how this story was written by Mr. Bennett, it will be always secondary to me (at least to me). Just the thought of how this relationship begun, was formed, existed, and somehow ended was already a masterpiece. Any relationship, especially like this one and in this circumstances, the different personas, social status, personal experiences, and even the day-to-day events. the obvious, the hidden ---is of human interest. Though if it was the writer in him, or could be just him, the core of his very "person" that Mr. Bennett was able to see, to comprehend, to accept, to participate into and to appreciate whatever he had with Ms. S. Such a gift.

Thanks to the man, Alan Bennett, playwright, screenwriter, actor and author, for sharing.


View all my reviews


This is She, the real Ms. Mary Shepherd.  I'd like to believe that she remains a mystery until this day.
Dame Maggie Smith simply always on top of her portrayal.


My absolute admiration and respect to this generous and  kind man, Alan Bennett.

My copy, since its not available in the Philippines, I got this last June from Kinokuniya,  a local bookstore in Kuala Lumpur.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive