... my other garden ;)

About Me

My photo
I'm not a graceful person. I'm not a Sunday morning or a Friday sunset. I am a Tuesday 2AM, I am gunshots muffled by a few city blocks, I am a broken window during February. My bones crack on a nightly basis. I fall from elegance with a dull thud, and I apologize for my awkward sadness. I sometimes believe that I don't belong around people, that I belong to all the leap days that didn't happen. The way light and darkness mix under my skin has become a storm. You don't see the lightning, but you hear the echoes.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

What's your worth?

He gave his best. He always did.  This is not to question a fighter's heart.  This one's for his business managers :) 

"Manny Pacquiao should choose his battles. Given his stature in international boxing, he need not join every street brawl there is. But if he needs to because its a hefty million dollar deal (sucks! please tell me it's not just about the money) then
, I'm sorry, but he's got to win these fights, too. No less. Record shows, he lost his 2 recent fights, to a someone name what? .... Bradley something hayyy, and to an equally skillful Mexican fighter who was so hungry to prove himself up against an 8-Division champion. See the fulcrum :). ... eh pag hinamon sya ni Aquaman suntukan sa ilalim ng dagat, laban din sya? eh yung mga street bullies na tambay sa Pitong Gatang, Tondo, suntukan daw sila, laban pa din? Every loss is a recorded loss, whether it was a badly decided bout like Bradley's or a so called "lucky punch whatever" like yesterday's . To me, as a rule, a champion should never go down, but if he must, it must be with dignity. It should be a fight worth going down."





This writer by nature is a proud boxer.  Boxing my way to the ring of life, 42 years,  I may be bloodied, on my knees, left for dead ... but I get to my grave my head up high.  If that should be that one last fight to bring it all down, I'd make sure it's worth every drop of my blood. 





If I have eight belts, I have nothing to prove, I'd retire wearing them.  Let Mayweather drool and sulk and salivate and throw hissy fits, and I'd watch him get grouchy and throw tantrums like a 6 year old little girl while he endlessly beg for my blood he'll never get to taste.  Eight belts made me a millionaire, gave me and my family more than enough comforts in life that I can imagine.  Poverty should have taught  about fulfillment and satisfaction.  Dignity is not the summation of money.  





I will leave the limelight gracefully and gratefully.  A champion takes the door wearing all his belts on.  Not losing to anyone, not losing to himself.     





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive