... my other garden ;)

About Me

My photo
I'm not a graceful person. I'm not a Sunday morning or a Friday sunset. I am a Tuesday 2AM, I am gunshots muffled by a few city blocks, I am a broken window during February. My bones crack on a nightly basis. I fall from elegance with a dull thud, and I apologize for my awkward sadness. I sometimes believe that I don't belong around people, that I belong to all the leap days that didn't happen. The way light and darkness mix under my skin has become a storm. You don't see the lightning, but you hear the echoes.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

A grandmother's love ...

I remember this day at the hospital.  Polymedic's policy allows rooming in only when the mother is functional (at least the basics hehe) ... so i was impatient with myself, and concerned about the delay of breastfeeding my baby --- ive read about colostrum during my entire pregnancy and I was really committed to giving that to my newborn.   The long wait actually made me grouchy, everyone's scared that would trigger post partum LOL (but ive always have legendary mood swings all my life, within and outside pregnancy hahaha ... so there was really nothing spectacular with my hissy fits hehe) .  Mama's excitement made her a bit restless. But then  i had episiotomy during delivery, my perineal muscle was small and rigid, i was exhausted and my opening was taking time to expand so my OB had to cut through (and gladly did not forget to sew it back  arrgghhhhaaaaa) ... it was painful and so i was soooo scared to pee (in fact, until this day, its like a wound that freshens up especially when its colder).  the nurse had to resort in threatening  to put me into urinary catheterization if i still do not use the banyo hayyyy ...   after  24 hours ...  ROOMING IN hurrah!!!!  Catheter was unnecessary, colustrum delivered, our darling Sophie in Lola's sweet arms


*** *** ***

Glued on TV nights ... Soph and I ... we saw this new TVC of McDonald's ... reminded us of my her very young life with Lola Miles ...

In as far as I can remember, in my early 20s, she knowing how involved I was with my career and my travels,and my very looongggg engagement either put in abeyance or on its way to the back door ... my mother explicitly asked me only for 2 things... 1) to get  married   2) to give her an apo ... in that particular order :)

Partially, I was obedient.
I was pregnant at 26 (a condition that made me soooo happy and fulfilled as a woman :) ) ...  uhmmm but was not considering marriage (which shot up my mother's blood pressure to the highest level and was blatant in questioning my set of priorities and my moral values as an educated decent woman arrgghhhh) ... but the plot of this story is not about me and my controversial (at least according to my mother :) )  ways of  prioritization and my unconventional views towards marriage etc etc. My mother knows I've always been radical, as a child, a teenager, an adult .... she put up with that for 36 years :) ... oh well ...

So what does this TVC bring but good old memories of my daughter's childhood well spent with her grandmother.  Lola Miles and Sophie ... Sidekick talaga silang dalawa ... from Day 1 onwards till her last day.  Her last day, hinatid nya pa ang apo nya sa school bus ... Soph was 9 and in Grade 4 at the Montessori.  But the plot of this story is not about that heartbreaking day.  This is not about losses but all that was gained from a grandmother's love of her grandchild.

The last 9 years of my mother's life, and the 1st 9 years of my daughter's they were inseparable.  From NKP to grade school, field trips, school programs,  all Soph's bday celebs, christmases, new years, halloweens, pati flores de mayo ahahah,  Lola Miles was with her in her reading and writing  exercises, swimming lessons, piano lessons, ballet class, vacations in Pangasinan, Baguio, Tanza and Gensan, sa malls, sa resorts, sa Jollibee, sa Mexicali, at sempre pati sa McDo  Umaga hanggang gabi sila ang magkasamang mag-lola. Sa village namin, hindi ako kilala.  Pero silang mag-lola ... landmarks ahaha ... village icons  LOL .... I was Sophie's Mom and Mila's daughter :)

Too bad ... scanner's not working today in time for this entry.  But also not to overpower the TVC, and may be too because all those photos and memories deserve its own page in this journal ... they are just too many prints and imprints ... this mommy is proud to share soon.

Meantime, what can i say ... more than this TVC, but knowing how BIG BIG the LOVE of my Mama to my daughter ... and how beautiful and happy they were together ...  makes me wanna be a (rockstar) Nana, too  some day. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive