... my other garden ;)

About Me

My photo
I'm not a graceful person. I'm not a Sunday morning or a Friday sunset. I am a Tuesday 2AM, I am gunshots muffled by a few city blocks, I am a broken window during February. My bones crack on a nightly basis. I fall from elegance with a dull thud, and I apologize for my awkward sadness. I sometimes believe that I don't belong around people, that I belong to all the leap days that didn't happen. The way light and darkness mix under my skin has become a storm. You don't see the lightning, but you hear the echoes.

Monday, December 7, 2015

Me, Roxanne, Train Rides



"You back Moms?"  That was actully a remark.  Her opening salvo.

We always take the couch with the strongest airconditioning sometimes it would be the 2nd from the front, South bound.  Tonight, a tiny window was left open, the wind was getting in.

"My best girl from HS's coming home from Sydney. I said. Dapat 2016 pa sila maguuwian along with our other friends from San Diego and Ontario.  But Mame's cancer stricken, stage 4 ...  so what's left of us will have a little reunion in our little hometown on Christmas week.  My friends, Facebook is  their preferred platform.  I said viber though.   But majority wins.    She'll be home by next week, we need to rush and file our paid vacation.

The other reason concerns my daughter's travel to the US next year, I want to know my options in getting a less expensive, safer carrier.   My way of getting at a more informed decision ;-) For these reasons, I needed to activate again.  I'm sure I'd be done with all these really soon.  So everything elses in everyone elses lives will go back to normal."

That was a long revalida huh.  But ain't she a bit interrogating.  Intriguing.  Malicious.  :)

Tapos?  That again was actually a remark. She can read me like a book you know.  I remember during our very first train ride together she bombardized me with all the personal questions that she got into her head,  I was caught of guard, but I'm a pretty bad liar. That was when we started becoming friends.

Moments like this ... its hard to catch my gaze.  I purposely  was looking far and away from hers.  Ang likot ng mata ko, ang hirap hulihin.

Para matapos lang, I took the courage to face her for a second.

I sighed,  i smiled or i smiled then i breathed long ...  i actually do not remember which came first.

But even before she could say anything, i turned my head away. Each time my voice breaks I know what happens next.

It was just the two of us on a small bench inside the second couch of a big, moving train.    She didn't insist but I know she heard what I said softly against the wind

"Sayang.  Akala ko kasi mahal nya din ako."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive