... my other garden ;)

About Me

My photo
I'm not a graceful person. I'm not a Sunday morning or a Friday sunset. I am a Tuesday 2AM, I am gunshots muffled by a few city blocks, I am a broken window during February. My bones crack on a nightly basis. I fall from elegance with a dull thud, and I apologize for my awkward sadness. I sometimes believe that I don't belong around people, that I belong to all the leap days that didn't happen. The way light and darkness mix under my skin has become a storm. You don't see the lightning, but you hear the echoes.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

40 begets life

Indeed, a busy birth week. Friendship overdose, why not ei. I made sure I was gracious enough to thank everyone who sent their greetings via Friendster, FB, yahoo and SMS.

Catch me while am trying to “capture” the moments.

I got a choc'late cake on a Monday. I was kidding Bok to change the venue. Three’s @ Shakey’s MOA was a curse. I said, I’d just be 40 by Wednesday, I don’t have plans to die young and besides I’m keeping a little optimism in my pocket for some baby dreams. Thank God for Anakish Jonah. Now it’s safe and even :)

Bok ordered for everyone. The pizza was good. We all loved mojos. Rons and Jones shared a pitcher of iced tea. Bok and I shared 2 pitchers of draft beer,

I took Ronnie to the taxi stand by 8:30 pm. He can’t stay up very late anymore. I was happy to be of service. I was also dismayed on how uneducated this nation is in dealing with physically challenged people tsk tsk

Back on the table, I dunno how we got there :) … they probably forgot that it was my birthday celebration, the next scenes were the ultimate grilling. He was like a piece of raw meat thrown in a lions den … two lions. Lions named Bok and Anakish. His own daughter slaughtering her own father :) … it was her question that started the fire :) :) … I know there was no amount of convincing … I hummed … those mutated lines I made famous … “and I love you so, my friends ask me why.”

So I learned the story behind the dragon fruit :) … the Saturday pizza, MFI RIVS all piling up on his desk, and for God’s sake …. the AHIMA report (Bok giving up on this with all her heart), the MTIAPI brochure which almost left our anakish broken hearted especially his tatay teaming up with pimpee that time to defend and sell that very bright idea to AOC and JBG, the legend of the ol’ fuckin’ wheel as narrated to Jaylord (Wenggay already losing her mind around this time .. and rolling on her belly, too), his ESP presentation when he was late and completely catatonic, and then the sob stories (at least for me), his own staff complaining about him (his really really slowwww paced decision-making … and his really really bad decision-making), all behind his back tsk tsk. It’s been 4 years, I dunno what happened to the man. I had faith in him. I thought he just needed the right amount of push. And a great deal of inspiration. Some really positive influence to get those creative juices working and pump up some really positive energy to make him move at least on a reasonable speed :) He was my PM. I fought for him really bad. I knew there was something about him. I gave him liberty to make certain decisions. He presided important meetings and I was just sitting next to him. I felt there was little polishing needed on his competence. Each time a person gets better, his confidence level increases, I always say that. He now heads a group of young, creative people whose talents are really important to CITEM’s mandate. He long waited for that. To be acknowledged and be given the chance to shine. That was a promotion long overdue. But you know, sometimes human error, we are given a moment to do something useful, and make a difference, we take it for granted, or even mess it up. Long waited for it, but once its in our hands … how foolish can we get.

I was told he always drink and party with his staff, I hope that they grab that time also as an opportunity to discuss their issues, objectively, sincerely with the goal of course, to find solutions, and improve on their respective performance at work. He heads that group it is his obligation to put them together, their act together, deliver the goods. I bet the beers gonna taste better after that. Sincerity is always sweet.

I told Weng to tell him that as a friendly advice. Anyway, they’re “occasional friends naman. :( She refused, and openly said she gave up on him along time ago, even after he first told him about the legendary wheel. Bok said that he should get that from his so called best friends, Boogaloo and Pimpee.

“But they turned him to a Mongol,” I argued. “They support and encourage his ways. They couldn’t be relied upon.”

“That’s his fault. That’s their problem. Let 'em stew in their own juices. I have better things to do. Don’t sweat, Irms.” Sabi ni Bok.

As usual, we closed down Shakey’s. We were on the road home by 12 midnight.

Thank God, I wasn’t late for work the next morning :).

I was on the phone with Maweng Gigi on a Tuesday. A pre –birthday call. She asked about my plans this Wednesday. I said I was going to be on leave for the next two days. She quickly invited me to spend tomorrow at CITEM :). I stopped coming around na raw kasi. It’s been more than 3 months since last January. MyPiayaya texted me the same when she also found out I will be on birthday leave.

I graciously declined. Ayoko na mapagusapan, pag hindi ka nakikita, hindi ka naalala ... tsaka ayaw ko na din na …

(Naintidihan naman nila.)

Sophie’s birthday gift to mom was actually a week earlier. She got me Charlie Brown and Snoopy pillow case from UK for 80 bucks :) My daughter knows I adore Chuck.

She also bought me choc’late decadence cake. I blew 4 pink candles from it.

I had a sweet time with my little girl on my 40th..

That night I treated myself with 8 bottles of San Mig lyte.

21 April 2010, Wednesday. Everybody remembered … never him. I called it a day.

My gift for moi. Finally, I went to see my OB. Honestly, it didn’t look good. The cervical exam was a painful procedure especially for me. It has been like that since I gave birth 13 years ago. I just have to pray for the results. I already texted my Christian friends for prayers. I’m being tested for malignant cells. Next week is it. I pray they're not malignant.

Friday. Last stop Quattro Bar and … that place hehe both jusz a few steps away from my office. Dinner and drink and body shots with Dognuts. May tama na kami ni Pong ng dumating si Nanat from PASADO. There was a long discussion about films. I am so excited to resume watching The Sopranos, and equally excited to watch The Reader. The holocaust is an endearing topic for me. It was God’s lesson to humanity. Just the night before our rendezvous, I was online checking sites on holocaust survivors, my daughter got curious but it was hard to explain in one sitting. I just told her how fortunate we are for not being part (either as a Jew or otherwise) of that dark side of history. And how pride and prejudice can result to genocide.

That evening was ceremonial for the three of us as we made a pact to attend the grand reunion next year. Blood compact actually (Jonathan’s blood only hahaha). This is happy news for everyone in Batch 86 especially to overseas Dognuts who are, using the words of our good friend, Arlene V. Lee, “uwing-uwi na.”

Home by 4:00 AM on a Saturday. I woke up, still lazy, and resumed Fendzter-FB migration. First 10 photos from My DelicioUs ambiguity album are now saved in FB, 87 more to come. So fast, how time flies, I don’t remember his face anymore. Thelmz said he’s no longer sporting a goatee.. Bok said he’s gained weight (his butt grew big daw hahaha --- loko talaga tong si Weng). Sabi ni Faye, he had free facial daw hehe. He’s got new shirts according to Gigi.

Hey, stranger, how are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive